Sunday 10 June 2012

"Oh, well I know what's going on there! We at NOWLebanon are following Syria very closely!"

Via FLC

"I'm currently an American working in Lebanon, and every foreigner I've met admits if you can't find another job, you can always get one at Now Lebanon, no questions asked. The arabic institute he's referencing is in Gemmayze, not Achrefieh. It's called Saifi Insitute and it's a good place. Not their fault that they teach foreigners Arabic and that many foreigners here end up working at Now Lebanon. They run an unpretentious little restaurant next to the institute which is very popular with foreigners and Lebanese alike. 
Anyways, I have taken advanced Arabic classes there, and met students living here for years working at Now Lebanon who are just now bothering to learn dialect. I've always wondered how they report on a country they don't speak the language of. One girl I met a few months ago, when I told her I used to live in Syria got wide eyes and said "Oh, well I know what's going on there! We at Now Lebanon are following Syria very closely!" It took everything I had not to laugh in her face. Apparently she thought Now Lebanon is the only newspaper in the Middle East following events in Syria..."

River to Sea Uprooted Palestinian  
The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of this Blog!

No comments: