Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov slammed Saudi Arabia position over the fate of the Syrian president Bashar al-Assad as a ruler of the war-torn country.
During a fresh round of peace talks in Vienna aimed at finding a solution to the five-year crisis in Syria, Lavrov stressed that the Syrians are the only side who decides Assad’s fate, al-Manar reported in Vienna said.
“Is Audi authorized to decide who will represent the Syrian people?” Lavrov addressed Saudi FM, Adel al-Jubeir who is attending the talks in the Austrian capital.
“You can refer to the text of the last meeting…. Syrians are who decide the fate of their country, including Assad’s fate,” Lavrov added, according to our correspondent.
United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura has told reporters that the meeting is important but that he does not expect breakthroughs.
“Breakthrough is a big word. What we are definitely looking forward to keeping the momentum and progress,” he has said.
The Syrian conflict, which started in March 2011, has claimed the lives of more than 250,000 people and left over one million injured, according to the UN.
Source: Al Manar TV
|14-11-2015 - 16:01 Last updated 14-11-2015 - 16:01|
- لافروف ردا على الجبير : هل السعودية هي المخولة لتحديد من يمثل الشعب السوري؟
- بوتين:سورية دولة ذات سيادة ..و لا أمتلك الحق بأن أطلب من الرئيس السوري التنحي من السلطة
- الرئيس الأسد لوفد فرنسي: الاعتداءات الإرهابية التي استهدفت باريس لا يمكن فصلها عما وقع في بيروت مؤخرا وما يحدث في سورية منذ خمس سنوات
- هجمات باريس تلقي بظلالها على "فيينا السوري"
- Kremlin: Syrian Army’s Actions Backed by Russian Airstrikes "Effective"
- Iran Deputy Foreign Minister to Attend Vienna Talks on Syria
- Putin to Visit Iran November 23: Kremlin
- Syrian Army Advances in Aleppo Southwestern Countryside, Retakes Tal Hidya
- Syrian Army, Its Allies Control Hader City in Aleppo Countryside Completely
- Saudi King Orders National Airline to Continue Sharm Flights
- Syrian Army Inflicts More Losses upon ISIL in Several Provinces