The Syrian conflict has seen many media distortions but there is one especially which I must take vigorous issue with.
Sometimes there is an admission that the government controls part of Aleppo. However overall the impression given is that Aleppo is a rebel city and that the Syrian government's army is attacking it.
This often comes with lurid claims of the Syrian airforce terror bombing ("barrel-bombing") its people — something that has now become part of the standard Western critique of President Assad.
The attack on Damascus was successfully repelled. In the case of Aleppo the rebels managed to capture a significant part of the city. However around half the city — the half which apparently has the majority of the city's people — remained under the government's control.
Aleppo has since been a battlefield between the two sides with many of its historic buildings destroyed.
Over the course of 2015 rebel offensives in Idlib province and in the countryside around Aleppo almost succeeded in cutting off the government controlled part of Aleppo from the rest of the country. The government could only send reinforcements to Aleppo, and supplies for its garrison and people, by air.
Since the Russian military intervened in the conflict the position has reversed.
The Syrian army backed by the Russian airforce first succeeded in reopening the roads to Aleppo.
Over the last few days it has managed to cut the road links to the rebel held section of Aleppo — effectively cutting off the rebels there.
It would be a misrepresentation to say that all the people in Aleppo support the government and oppose the rebels. However back in 2012 a rebel commander admitted that the majority did.
During the protests in 2011 that preceded the war — which properly began with the rebel offensive that was launched in mid 2012 — Aleppo held largely aloof from the protests — a fact the Western media at the time admitted.
That too suggests that the greater part of the people of Aleppo support the government, or at least do not strongly oppose it.
To say therefore that the Syrian army is attacking Aleppo is to distort the truth.
A still better way of putting it would be to say that the Syrian army is not attacking Aleppo but is successfully defending it.
The views expressed in this article are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official position of Sputnik.
- French Media Uses Russian Footage to Show ‘Success’ of US Strikes in Syria
- Against Russia? Saudi Invasion in Syria ‘Would Be Beneficial for US'
- UN Refugee Agency Urges Turkey to Open Border to Syrian Asylum-Seekers
- Russian Involvement in Syria: ‘Finally Someone is Fighting Terrorists’
- Will Syrian Kurds Become a 'Stumbling Block' in Washington-Ankara Ties?
- Turkish, Saudi Ground Troops in Syria Will 'Support Daesh Against Assad'
- EU Council Head Accuses Russian Forces of 'Worsening' Situation in Syria
- Russia Providing Military Aid Only to Legitimate Syrian Authorities - Envoy
- Russian-Language School to Open in Syria's Damascus