In early 1982, when reports of the El Mozote massacre of hundreds of civilians by the military in El Salvador began appearing in U.S. media, Abrams told a Senate committee that the reports of hundreds of deaths at El Mozote “were not credible,” and that “it appears to be an incident that is at least being significantly misused, at the very best, by the guerrillas.” The massacre had come at a time when the Reagan administration was attempting to bolster the human rights image of the Salvadoran military. Abrams implied that reports of a massacre were simply FMLN propaganda and denounced U.S. investigative reports of the massacre as misleading. In March 1993, the Salvadoran Truth Commission reported that over 500 civilians were “deliberately and systematically” executed in El Mozote in December 1981 by forces affiliated with the Salvadoran government.
The Observer has claimed that Abrams had advance knowledge of, and “gave a nod to,” the Venezuelan coup attempt of 2002 against Hugo Chávez. However, a review by the State Department’s inspector general made the following conclusion: “Our government’s opposition to the use of undemocratic or unconstitutional means to remove President Chávez was repeated over and over again during the relevant period by key policymakers and spokespersons in Washington and by our representatives in Caracas in both public and private forums. And, far from working to foment his overthrow, the United States alerted President Chávez to coup plots and warned him of an assassination threat that was deemed to be credible.” Yet the U.S. government gave tacit approval to the coup initially, refusing to condemn the coup until after the president installed by the coup had already been forced to resign by the people.
- Taking America back for Americans? Trump’s Troubling israel Appointees Suggests Otherwise 2017
- The US, and israeli, Hand in the Syrian Mess
- Elliott Abrams (Israel) worries: ‘Will Syria’s Jihadis go to Lebanon, Iraq or else?’ 2013
- US wants Morsi to deliver more 2013
- “Palestinians polarised by Egyptian scene” 2012
- “Two cheers for Mursi! Now let’s get to work.” 2012
- “Elliott Abrams? worse than disingenuous. Dishonest!” 2010
- The Settlers’ Lawyer (or, Elliott Abrams Is At It Again) 2009