Saturday 7 January 2012

I met Jesus today

Nahida the exiled Palestinian

I met Jesus today

His name was Palestinian

Issa… Jesus he was called

On the altar of “chosen-ness” he was crucified

Time and time and time again

*****

His face was Palestinian

Olive, with a hint of agony

Yet

Years of torture fail to conceal the glow

The purity of his soul peeks through

The sparkle in his eyes invites you to dive in

*****

His pain was Palestinian

The colour of his words

Grips your guts

And squeeze… squeeze … squeeze

Until you lose consciousness

You fall on your knees

Begging for forgiveness

*****


His faith was Palestinian


“Their sadism too much to bear

In the street I waited for a car

No way out but to kill myself

Twilight hour the fall of night

The call to prayer woken my heart

Healing balsam caressed my soul

Maybe…. In this life… still…there is something I can do”

*****

His heart was Palestinian

Carved with sorrow

Filled with love

Flames of rage and roars of thunder

Hound his torturer to his grave

*****

His tears were Palestinian

His first crucifixion… he was only fourteen

On the second, he was nineteen

From then on

He was crucified every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every week of every month of every year

*****

His dignity was Palestinian

Anguished by his rapists

With his broken back he stood tall

His wounds run deep… his head held high

He saw the rainbow in the horizon

When all gave up he gave them hope

*****

His smile was Palestinian

It has been said:

“To smile when confronted with most severe oppression

Is an act of Resistance

Rooted

In unparalleled beauty” *

The smile of Issa

Was Palestinian

*****

His resilience was Palestinian

“As he punched me in the face

I felt stronger

As he kicked me in the stomach

I felt stronger

As he slashed my arm

I felt stronger”, he said

*****

His hope was Palestinian

Insha’Allah, ya rab, Alhamdulillah

Bouncy words sprinkled around

Buds of trust bloom and grow

His broad grin whiffs you to life

His nightmares close their eyes

His tales of horror lie to slumber

When all lost hope he saw a future


I saw Jesus today


04/01/2012

* Quote by Jonathan Azaziah

No comments: