Monday 19 April 2010

Lovers don’t rape





By Nahida The Exiled Palestinian

Jerusalem
Sweet Jerusalem


What did they do to you!

Claiming your love

But cause you none
But sorrow and pain

Sweet Jerusalem
I heard you crying that night
Your frail beautiful frame
Trembling… aching… diminishing…
Your sad eyes avoiding mine



Sweet Jerusalem

I want to crawl towards you…
To kiss the aromatic scent
Of your ancient alleyways
Fall on my knees… repenting…
At Damascus gate
Howling
I failed you… I let you down


Sweet Jerusalem

I want to embrace

That blue stripy dress of yours
Burry my face… burry my shame

Weeping
Asking your forgiveness


I’ve witnessed the crime



Sweet Jerusalem
I want to kneel down
Put my arms around you
Caress your weary brow
And murmur
Pardon me my dearest
I am sorry sweetheart



Sweet Jerusalem
I want to untangle your jet-black hair
Comb your gorgeous curls
Adorn your plaits with rainbow ribbons
And whisper… habibti
You look stunning today
Habibti… now show me
Your most charming… much missed smile



Nahida Izzat is a Jerusalem-born Palestinian refugee who has lived in exile for over forty two years, after being forced to leave her homeland at the tender age of seven in 1967, during the six-day war. She has a degree in mathematics, but art is one of her favorite pastimes. She loves hand-made things and so makes dolls, cards, and most of her own clothes. She also writes poetry, participates in written dialogues and believes in building bridges, not walls.


She started writing when her friends insisted she should write about her memories, experiences and feelings as a Palestinian.When she did it all came out sounding—she was told—like poetry! So she self-published two books: I Believe in Miracles and Palestine, The True Story.

Her dream is to return back home to a free and liberated Palestine.

If you like poetry and are intrigued by the notion of helping the Palestinian people and learning more, you can purchase Nahida's books, I Believe in Miracles and Palestine, The True Story by visiting:
I Believe in Miracles: a Collection of Palestinian Poems
ISBN 13: 9780954839109 | ISBN 10: 0954839102
£12.99 paperback Nahida Izzat (2004)
You can write to Nahida : nahidaexiledpalestinian@gmail.com

2 comments:

nahida -Exiled Palestinian said...

Dear Uprooted Palestinian

THANK YOU very much for adding these beautiful pictures of our beloved Al-Quds, excellent choice...

I particularly loved the one with the old man embracing Al-Aqsa

BEAUTIFUL
.

uprooted Palestinian said...

Dear nahida

I did my best to find the right pictures matching your great poem