Sunday 20 June 2010

Look at me

Look at me

I would love to write poetry about love,
Paint rainbows and butterflies,
Smell the scent of pink rose buds,
And dance;
Dance with the melody of jubilant bluebirds
I would love to close my eyes and see children smiling
No guns pointing at their heads
Tell them stories of lily-like fairies in far-away lands
Not of bullets shrieking.... of missiles exploding
But
How can I?
There is a dagger in my heart
I am hurting
Hurting
I bleed,
I cringe
I cry




HUMANITY, WHERE ARE YOU?
I am being slaughtered
Under your watchful eyes
I am cold… cold…. cold
I cringe
I cry
Humanity, where are you?
Why do you turn your face away?
Why do you keep looking the other way?
I am here
Languishing
In Gaza's alleyways
Humanity, where are you?
Look at me
See me
I am here
Sighing
In Gaza's alleyways
I cringe
I cry
Humanity,
Enough turning the other way !
Turning a deaf ear
Turning a blind eye

While I,
and oh ! My poor children
Die






I am a Jerusalem-born Palestinian refugee living in exile for over 42 years. I was forced to leave my homeland, Palestine at the age of seven during the six-day war. I am a mathematician by profession. I started writing about three years ago when my friends insisted I should write about my memories, experiences, and feelings as a Palestinian. I did… but it all came out -for some strange reason- sounding -as I am told- like poetry! So I self published two books (I Believe in Miracles, and Palestine, The True Story. Write to me at:
http://poetryforpalestine.spaces.live.com/
http://uprootedpalestinians.blogspot.com/

No comments: